Collocations là một cụm gồm 2 hay nhiều từ thường hay đi cùng với nhau, và theo một công thức nhất định. Collocations rất quan trọng trong các kỳ thi IELTS đặc biệt là trong writing Task 2.
1. To be a contributing factor: to be one of the main causes of sth
The vaccination program has been a contributing factor in the improvement of health standards.
2. To contribute to sth
Alcohol contributes to 100,000 deaths a year in the US.
3. To play/have a(n) important/key/vital/crucial role in (doing) sth: to play an important part in sth
University education plays a crucial role in improving the quality of human workforce.
4. To make significant/substantial/valuable/ great/outstanding contribution to sth
The medical advances have made outstanding contributions to the public’s health care.
5. To solve the problem
Whoever created this problem should solve it.
6. To be key factors influencing something
The number of the vehicles used is the key factors influencing pollution.
7. To reap the benefits (of sth) – gain benefit from something/ make the most of something
The customers reap the benefits of globalization.
8. To gain/derive benefit (from sth)
Many students derived enormous benefit from the course.
9. To have a right to do sth = to be entitled to do sth
Everyone should have the right to freedom of expression.
Full-time employees are entitled to receive health insurance.
10. To benefit greatly/enormously/considerably … from sth
Many thousands have benefited considerably from the new treatment.
11. To have/enjoy/achieve a huge/great success in doing sth
We want all our students to achieve a huge success in the exam
12. To launch a full-scale investigation into sth
The authorities are planning to launch a full-scale investigation into the crash.
13. To meet the need of/demand
The charity exists to meet the needs of elderly people.
14.To fulfil a role/duty/function/ an aim/a goal/an objective/dream/ambition/hope
Visiting Disneyland has fulfilled a boyhood dream.
15. To fulfil a requirement/condition/obligation
Britain was accused of failing to fulfill its obligation under the EU Treaty.
16. To fulfil a promise/pledge = to keep a promise
I’d like to see him fulfill his promise to reorganize the army.
17. To satisfy sb’s needs/demands/desires/requirements
The program is designed to satisfy the needs of adult learners.
18.To have/gain knowledge/understanding of sth
The need to gain knowledge about birth control.
19. To have/make common cause (with/against)
S officials expect other Western governments to make common cause with them over the arrests.
20. To cause somebody to do something
What caused you to change your mind ?