Giúp bạn tổng hợp 42 idioms ăn điểm trong bài thi IELTS
Mẹo hay giúp bạn nâng điểm IELTS các kỹ năng chính là: nên sử dụng thành ngữ hoặc cụm từ (idiom, phrase) thay vì những từ vựng đơn giản.
1. at all costs = bằng mọi giá (để thành công)
Ex: My dream is to become a successful businessman and I will work hard for it at all costs.
2. be out of your depth = trong tình thế khó xử/khó khăn
Ex: I am used to teach General english but I was out of my depth when I had to teach Academic English
3. explore all avenues = suy tính đến các hướng/bước để tránh xảy ra vấn đề/hậu quả xấu
Ex: We need to explore all avenues before doing something that is not very safe to a great number of people in order to minimize unfavourable consequences.”
4. let’s face it = hãy đối mặt/chấp nhận thực tế/sự thật
Ex: Let’s face it. You wont be able to achieve 7.0 IELTS if you do not work hard.
5. behind the times = lỗi thời, hết thời (=old-fashione hoặc out-date)
Ex: My friend never likes using smart phones. She’s so behind the times.
6. in deep water = trong tình thế nguy hiểm/khó khăn
Ex: He has not submitted his dissertation so he’s in deep water.
7. put yourself in somebody’s shoes = thử đặt mình vào vị trí/hoàn cảnh của người khác
Ex: If you put yourself in my shoes, you would understand why I made that decision
8. to be up in arms about something = tức giận, buồn bực vì điều gì đó
Ex: She has been up in arms about the rent increase.
9. as easy as pie : rất dễ, dễ như ăn bánh
Ex: He said it is a difficult problem, but I don’t agree. It seems as easy as pie to me!
10. be sick and tired of : tôi ghét (tôi không chịu được)
Ex: I’m sick and tired of doing nothing but work. Let’s go out tonight and have fun.
11. bend over backwards : rất cố gắng ( có khi quá sức )
Ex: He bent over backwards to please his new wife, but she never seemed satisfied.
12. sleep on it: suy nghĩ (trước khi quyết định)
Ex: That sounds like a good deal, but I’d like to sleep on it before I give you my final decision.
13. broke : hết tiền
Ex: I have to borrow some money from my Dad. Right now, I’m broke
14. change one’s mind : đổi ý
Ex: I was planning to work late tonight, but I changed my mind. I’ll do extra work on the weekend instead.
15. Cut it out! : dừng làm việc gì xấu
Ex: That noise is really annoying. Cut it out!
16. drop someone a line: gửi 1 lá thư hay email cho ai đó
Ex: It was good to meet you . Drop me a line when you have time.
17. figure something out : hiểu được vấn đề gì
Ex: I don’t understand how to do this problem. Take a look at it. Maybe you can figure it out.
18. fill in for someone : làm dùm ai khi họ vắng mặt
Ex: While I was away from the store, my brother filled in for me.
19. in ages : từ rất lâu
Ex: Have you seen Joe recently? I haven’t seen him in ages.
20. give someone a hand : giúp
Ex: I want to move this desk. Can you give me a hand?
21. hit the hay : đi ngủ
Ex: It’s after 12 o’clock. I think it’s time to hit the hay.
22. in the black : sinh lời, có lời
Ex: Our business is really improving. We’ve been in the black all year.
23. in the red : mất tiền, lỗ
Ex: Business is really going poorly these days. We’ve been in the red for the past three months.
24. in the nick of time: xíu nữa, 1 lúc nữa
Ex: I got to the drugstore just in the nick of time. I really need this medicine!
25. keep one’s chin up : dũng cảm và tiếp tục
Ex: I know things have been difficult for you recently, but keep your chin up. It will get better soon.
26. know something like the back of your hand : biết 1 việc gì rất rõ
Ex: If you get lost, just ask me for directions. I know this part of town like the back of my hand
27. once in a while : đôi khi, lâu lâu
Ex: Have you been to the new movie theater? No, only see movies once in a while.
28. sharp : chính xác thời gian đó
Ex: I’ll meet you at 9 o’clock sharp. If you’re late, we’ll be in trouble!
29. Don’t judge a book by its cover: đừng đánh giá một sự vật/sự việc/con người chỉ qua vẻ bề ngoài (đừng nhìn mặt mà bắt hình dong)
Ex: A – I don’t like our new neighbours very much, they’re quite strange.
B- You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Give them a chance, I think they’re just a bit quirky but really nice!
30. miss the boat = lỡ tàu -> lỡ cơ hội
Ex: There were tickets available last night, but she missed the boat by waiting till today to try to buy some.
31. feeling under the weather =cảm thấy không khỏe, không được tốt
Ex: I’m feeling under the weather – I think I’m getting a cold
32. leave no stone unturned = tlàm tất cả để đạt mục tiêu
Ex: I’ll leave no stone unturned until I find out the reason
Don’t worry. I’ll find your stolen dog. I’ll leave no stone unturned
33. hit the nail on the head = đoán đúng, đánh đúng trọng tâm, nói đúng….
Ex: You hit the nail on the head when you used idioms in the speaking test.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that what’s lacking in our company is a feeling of confidence.
34. sit on the fence = lưỡng lự, không lựa chọn được
Ex: You can’t sit on the fence any longer- you have to decide where you go
I’m sitting on the fence with my girlfriend when we went shopping!
35. take for granted = coi việc có cái gì như một điều hiển nhiên nên không trân trọng khi có điều đó
Ex: He took her help for granted without saying thank you.
36. A piece of cake = very easy (dễ dàng)
Ex: Something easily accomplished, as in I had no trouble finding your house, it was a piece of cake.
37. Blew me away = (thứ gì đó) thực sự rất đáng ngạc nhiên
Ex: The loud noise from the concert blew me away.
38. once in a blue moon = very rarely (rất hiếm khi)
Ex: I used to see him all the time, but now he just visits me once in a blue moon.
39. Run of the mill = thông thường
Ex: The restaurant we went to was nothing special, just run the mill.
40. Soul mate = bạn chí cốt tâm giao, tri âm tri kỷ
Ex: My husband is not just my lover, he’s my soul mate.
41. Down in the dumps = sad.
Ex: I was really down in the dumps after my dog died.
42. cost an arm and a leg = rất đắt, tốn kém
Ex: I’d love to buy a Lamborghini supercar, but it costs an arm and a leg.
>>TẶNG BẠN 1 THÁNG HỌC IELTS MIỄN PHÍ!!!<<
Hãy nhanh tay đăng ký học ngay, vì nó MIỄN PHÍ, chỉ còn 10 suất nữa thôi👌
Mọi thắc mắc xin liên hệ
⛪ CLEVERLEARN BA ĐÌNH
🏣 Số 16A Văn Cao, Ba Đình, Hà Nội
📱 0243.726.1698 (máy lẻ: 121, 117)